Sunday, February 11, 2007

Adventures in and out of Paris

Friday night Jess and I went to the Greek area in St. Michel for dinner. We found a cute Greek restaurant with a formule (appetizer, entree, and dessert) for only 9 euros. When we first entered and were seated, the waiter had to plead with the family cat to get off my chair so I could sit down - it was very cute. We started with greek salads, then I ate a gyro and fries (probably straight off the slab of meat I could see roasting on a stake in the back) and ice cream to finish. Our waiter was adorable - 5 years out of Greece...he asked for our numbers and told us to come back to the restaurant at midnight if we wanted to go out with him for the evening.

Saturday morning we decided we wanted to have a little adventure and get out of Paris, so we hopped on the RER to Poissy, a Parisian suburb. We spent most of the day there, wandering the cute little streets, enjoying the tranquil pace of a Saturday afternoon there (compared to the craziness of Paris on a sunny Saturday). We found a gorgeous park and walked through there, as well as a museum of toys from the 1800 and 1900s...very pleasant.

Saturday night I crashed a dinner with Jess and Dan's orientation group - it turned out just to be them and their leader and her boyfriend, so it worked out great. Their leader is a former Middlebury student and super-sweet. We ate at a very French restaurant and I had my first raclette. Raclette is a French dish where they give you a plate of cheese slices (with some ham and potatoes) and they light a little grille built into the table, and you melt the cheese on the grille, then put it on the potato. It was delicious and so much fun. Definitely something I'll be eating again in France.

No comments: